Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mr. Ruggles

1. Colorado is a beautiful place to live, and there are great parts about it. My favorite thing about Colorado is definitely the mountains. I really love to ski in the winter, and camp and hike in the summer. The mountains are the most beautiful place to be any time of the year. In this part of Colorado, we have an amazing view, and when the sun reflects off the mountain tops each morning and sunset, it is a spectacular sight to see.
2. In English 9, I really like how we do project quizzes. After every couple chapters in the books we read, we take a quiz but it is usually it is something creative like making a collage about what matters to the character of our choice, or how the effects of war on young soldiers is shown. This forces us to think on higher level thinking questions and apply them in a way that relates to the book, but also to us. I prefer these rather then quizzes with questions regarding what happened in the book because then we can’t go further into the story than what is written in the text. I also like how we have bonded as a class, and how we are able to work with each other.
3. I learn best with hands-on projects and visualizing things. I tend to get things, and they stick in my head better when I can do things for myself, or when I can see how things work or are put together. This is the reason that I like project quizzes better than normal quizzes. If I can physically put something together by myself, and take it apart and to it again, I understand the concept better and I can apply it better.
4. Our big question this semester has been “What matters?” We applied this first to ourselves by creating a blog and writing what is important in our lives. Then we made a collage online with pictures showing what mattered to us. Then we applied the question to all the texts that we read. This has been the most meaningful to me because it has made me think about what other people feel, whether in real life or in fiction. It has made me think about what’s going through peoples head when I read books. I have developed the skill of comprehending reading and thinking it through better in this class than ever before. This skill will stay with me forever and it’s the one that means that means the most to me.
5. Volleyball is very meaningful to me. It is a sport that I play almost year round and that I am passionate about. I also am involved in Student Council at Arapahoe. In the summer I play softball, and in the spring I run track.
6. I am most passionate about, my faith, volleyball and my academics. These things really matter to me, as well as spending time with my family and friends.
7. In the second semester I will be playing volleyball for Colorado Intensity, participating in Student Council and running track for Arapahoe.
8. I honestly don’t know anything about those books. I think that it will be very interesting to read them.
9. I define poetry as deep literature that means something. It goes much deeper than the context, and you have to dig into it and understand it. I have never written my own poetry, but I would be willing to try.
10. I think that you should know that our class is a great class to be in, and we always have fun doing things like working in group projects and discussions in class,
11. If I were teaching the class, one thing that I would change is the way we have PLN presentations. I would change having up to 4 go in one day to one or two, allowing the class to debate about matters in the world, and how we should go about them.
12. On the first day of the second semester, I wish to accomplish the concept of the second semester, and what is going to be the ultimate thinking question for the end of the semester.
13. I think that I am most motivated by my dreams and goals. I often set high standards for myself and do what I can to reach them, and that motivates me to do higher and better than the requirements.
14. One thing that I would like to know is
15. I think that I am most like the pauper in The Prince and the Pauper because I work for what I have but I have success. I have a lot of friends and get along quite well in life but I recognize the fact that I have to work for everything I have to find success, I do not jus have it handed to me. I have never switched places with a Prince, but I think my personality matches that of the pauper.

No comments: